Contributions of 26 volunteers recognized with national honour
Calgary - The Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers was presented to Calgary and area community leaders at a ceremony on October 24
Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers honours service, commitment of community leaders
Edmonton - The Lieutenant Governor honoured 18 outstanding Albertans from the Capital region, Central and Northern Alberta at a ceremony at Government House on October 17
Queen's gift shared with all as Commonwealth Walkway opens
Lieutenant Governor Lois Mitchell hosted dignitaries and the public at a grand opening in Banff to celebrate Canada's first Commonwealth Walkway.
Queen's medal recognizes exemplary young citizens
On July 25, 2017, Lieutenant Governor Mitchell presented the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Citizenship Medal to exceptional student leaders from across Alberta.
Alberta community leaders receive new National Honour
Forty-four Alberta community leaders have received the Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers in recognition of the time, compassion and commitment they have shared with a wide range of community organizations.
Alberta youth bring creativity to Vimy remembrance
Lieutenant Governor Lois Mitchell honoured the top entries in the SPIRIT of Vimy contest a a ceremony in Edmonton on March 25. The contest was created to mark the centennial of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.
Join the Lieutenant Governor to ring in Canada's 150th birthday year
Everyone is welcome to join Lieutenant Governor Mitchell at Government House in Edmonton for the annual New Year's Day Levee. The event is open to the public from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm on Sunday, January 1.
Lieutenant Governor celebrates champions in mental health and addiction
Her Honour Lois Mitchell presented the True Awards and a youth award at a ceremony at Government House on October 6. The True Awards and the Donald S. Ethell Youth Award honour innovative and ground breaking work being done for mental health and addictions.
Lieutenant Governor launches history education initiative with SPIRIT of Vimy
Lieutenant Governor Lois Mitchell has launched a new educational program to foster greater public awareness of the Battle of Vimy Ridge. The program includes a SPIRIT of Vimy contest for Albertans aged 14-24.
Passing of Alberta's 16th Lieutenant Governor, the Honourable Norman Kwong
Statement from Lieutenant Governor Mitchell on the passing of the Honourable Norman Kwong, September 3, 2016.
Congratulations to Canada's Olympic Athletes
Congratulatory message from Lieutenant Governor Mitchell to Canada's Olympic Athletes following the close of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal for outstanding Alberta students
Lieutenant Governor Mitchell was joined by the Minister of Culture and Tourism in a celebration of Alberta youth leaders from across the province.
Photos More details
A birthday gift for The Queen - Banff Commonwealth Walkway
Alberta has a special gift to mark the 90th birthday of Her Majesty and to celebrate Canada's longstanding role as a member of the Commonwealth.
Donald Ethell Award presentation to Okotoks youth
Lieutenant Governor Mitchell and former Lieutenant Governor Ethell were in Okotoks March 30 to present the Donald S. Ethell Youth Award.
An Audience with Her Majesty The Queen
Lieutenant Governor Mitchell was received by Her Majesty The Queen on March 15th.
Passing of Alberta's 11th Premier, Mr. Donald Getty
Statement from Lieutenant Governor Mitchell on the passing of former Premier of Alberta Don Getty. Mr. Getty passed away on February 26, 2016.
Celebrate National Flag of Canada Day
National Flag of Canada Day falls on Monday, February 15th. How will you celebrate?
Call for True Awards Nominations
Recognizing Albertans leading the way in mental health and addiction programs and services.
Thanks for joining the Lieutenant Governor for the Levee
Albertans were invited to join Their Honours for the traditional New Year's Day levee at Government House in Edmonton on Friday, January 1.
Award for Young Mental Health Leaders
The LG's Circle is searching for up-and-coming Alberta youth, committed to fostering positive change in their communities. The Donald S. Ethell Youth Award is named for the Circle's founding patron and former Lieutenant Governor. Nominations for the new award close Mon, Jan 4, 2016.
Alberta's Best Receive Top Honour
Eight outstanding community leaders received the province's highest honour from the Lieutenant Governor at the annual Alberta Order of Excellence investiture ceremony held at Government House in Edmonton on October 14, 2015.
LG's Circle True Awards
On September 25, 2015, Her Honour presented the 2015 True Awards to outstanding individuals and organizations working to help Albertans living with mental health and addictions concerns and reduce stigma in our communities.
Marking a Milestone
On September 9, 2015, Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II became the longest-serving British monarch in history, surpassing her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria.
QEII Golden Jubilee Citizenship
On July 30th, Her Honour had the pleasure of presenting the QEII Golden Jubilee Citizenship medals to eight remarkable Alberta youth for outstanding community service and volunteerism.
Lois Mitchell becomes 18th Lieutenant Governor of Alberta
Her Honour, the Honourable Lois Mitchell took the oath of office today to become the 18th Lieutenant Governor of Alberta.
Media Advisory - Oct 24 Sovereign's Medal ceremony to recognize Calgary and region volunteers (Oct 23, 2017)
Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers honours service, commitment of Alberta's community leaders (Oct 17, 2017)
Media Advisory - Lt. Governor to present Queen's medal to Edmonton area, Central and Northern Albertans (Oct 16, 2017)
Queen's gift shared with all as Commonwealth Walkway opens (Sept 17, 2017)
Media advisory - Sept 17 Unveiling of Canada's first Commonwealth Walkway (Sept 14, 2017)
Media access - QEII Golden Jubilee Citizenship Medal ceremony (July 25, 2017)
Alberta community leaders receive new National Honour (May 29, 2017)
Accomplished Albertans to be honoured - Alberta Order of Excellence (May 10, 2017 - Govt of Ab Release)
Alberta youth bring creativity to Vimy remembrance (March 25, 2017)
Public to join Lieutenant Governor for New Year's Day tradition (advisory - Dec 29, 2016)
Ring in 2017 at the New Year's Day Levee (Dec 22, 2016)
Lieutenant Governor celebrates champions in mental health and addiction (Oct 6, 2016)
Lieutenant Governor launches history education initiative with SPIRIT of Vimy (Sept 22, 2016)
Exceptional students awarded Queen's jubilee medal (July 26, 2016 - Govt of Ab release)
Eight Community Leaders to Receive Alberta's Highest Honour (June 27, 2016 - Govt of Ab Release)
A birthday gift for the Queen - Banff Commonwealth Walkway to celebrate Alberta and Canada's Royal heritage (April 21, 2016)
Okotoks Youth receives Donald S. Ethell Award from LG's Circle (Mar 30, 2016)
Statement from the Lieutenant Governor on the passing of former Premier Don Getty (Feb 26, 2016)
Students to join Lieutenant Governor in celebrating the Maple Leaf (Feb 11, 2016)
New Award for Next Generation of Mental Health Leaders (Nov 23, 2015)
Alberta's best receive province's highest honour (Oct 14, 2015)
Albertans recognized for work to transform lives and reduce stigma (Sept 25, 2015)
QEII Golden Jubilee Citizenship Medal (July 31, 2015)
Media access - QE II Golden Jubilee Medal ceremony 2015 (July 30, 2015)
Lois Mitchell becomes 18th Lieutenant Governor of Alberta (June 12, 2015)
Media access - Installation of Lt Governor Designate (June 10, 2015)
Following is an overview of recent events attended by the Lieutenant Governor:
- Nov 18 - Red and White Canada 150 PTSD Benefit, Calgary
- Nov 17 - Duke of Edinburgh's Silver Award Ceremony, Calgary
- Nov 16 - Senate150 Medallion Presentation Ceremony, Calgary
- Nov 16 - University of Caglary Indigenous Strategy Launch
- Nov 14 - Senate 150 Medallion Presentation Ceremony, Government House
- Nov 11 - Dance to Remember in support of No Stone Left Alone, Edmonton
- Nov 11 - Remembrance Day Ceremony, Edmonton
- Nov 10 - Royal Canadian Humane Society Bravery Awards, Edmonton
- Nov 8 - LIfesaving Society Investiture, Government House
- Nov 7 - School at the Legislature visit with students from Our Lady of the Prairies School of Edmonton
- Nov 7 - Courtesy Call with the Ambassador of Ireland to Canada, Legislature Suite
- Nov 6 - No Stone Left Alone Ceremony, Edmonton
- Nov 5 - RCA Band Salute to Veterans concert, Edmonton
- Nov 4 - Canada 150 luncheon with Alberta Assn. of Former MLAs, Calgary
- Nov 1 - Field of Crosses Sunrise Ceremony, Caglary
- Oct 28 - Alberta Recreation and Parks Assn. Awards, Lake Louise
- Oct 26 - Cenotaph Rededication Ceremony, Cochrane
- Oct 26 - Banff Forum Pre-Conference luncheon, Calgary
- Oct 26 - YW She Who Dares launch event, Calgary
- Oct 25 - Eyes on the Arctic, Northern Stars Exhibits Grand Opening, Calgary
- Oct 24 - Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers Ceremony, Calgary
- Oct 23 - Western Sky launch event, Calgary
- Oct 23 - University of Calgary, Dept. of History Awards, Calgary
- Oct 21 - First Poppy Presentation, Calgary
- Oct 20 - Victories Centennial Gala, Calgary
- Oct 19 - Alberta Order of Excellence Investiture, Edmonton
- Oct 17 - Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers Ceremony, Edmonton
- Oct 16 - Rozsa Award presentation, Calgary
- Oct 14 - imagiNation conference opening, Calgary
- Oct 12 - Celebration of Sport, Calgary
- Oct 11 - Canadian Citizenship Ceremony, Calgary
- Oct 10 - Lt. Gov's Circle on Mental Health & Addiction True Awards, Edmonton
- Oct 5 - Order of Red Cross Awards Ceremony, Calgary
- Oct 4 - Developmental Disabilities Resource Centre Inclusion Awards, Calgary
- Oct 4 - RCMP Long Service Awards Ceremony, Calgary
- Oct 3 - Bob McPhee Grand Salute, Calgary
- Oct 3 - Unveiling of Canadian Pride artwork at Ottawa Intl. Airport
- Oct 2 - Installation Ceremony for the 29th Governor General of Canada, Ottawa
- Sept 24-30 - Invictus Games, Toronto
- Sept 23 - Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Distinguished Artist Awards, Banff
- Sept 19 - Walk21 Conference Opening, Calgary
- Sept 17 - Grand Opening of Banff Commonwealth Walkway, Banff
- Sept 14 - Victory Centennial Speakers Series, Hill 70, Calgary Military Museums
- Sept 13 - :Laurel Awards, Edmonton
- Sept 11 - Beating the Retreat Ceremony, BATUS, CFB Suffield
- Sept 10 - British Day at Spruce Meadows, Calgary
- Sept 9 - Loyal Edmonton Regiment 100th Anniversary Reception, Edmonton
- Sept 8 - Visit with Ex-Alta 1 cube satellite team, U of A, Edmonton
- Sept 7 - Tour of Agri-Food Discovery Place, U of A South Campus, Edmonton
- Sept 5 - Classroom Champions event, Calgary
- Sept 1 - Alberta Birthday Celebration, Bow Valley Ranche, Calgary
- Aug 26 - Order of Canada 50th Anniversary gathering, Ottawa
- Aug 26 - The Great Trail Cross Canada Connection Celebration, Ottawa